Practicing self-care has never been more on trend. Whether it’s meditation, healthy eating, or spa experiences, people are committed to taking better care of themselves.
According to Forbes, self-care relieves stress and anxiety, improves your productivity, and allows you to give more to others. In support of this trend, people are even creating spa-like environments in their own home. Now, how can you practice both mental and physical self-care without breaking your budget? Let’s dive in!
Caring for your mental health is just as important as caring for your body. First, let’s talk about stress. Stress is a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances. Stress affects people very differently. Symptoms can include insomnia, fatigue, irritability, lack of motivation, and more. When times are tough, it can be hard to not feel stressed, so how do you manage it? Harvard Medical School states that activities that trigger your body’s relaxation response are great for managing stress. Your relaxation response then helps lower your blood pressure, heart rate, and stress hormones. Here are two great ways to relax your mind:
- Using a humidifier adds moisture to the air and prevents dryness. This will give the air a more “spa-like” feel. For an even greater effect, use a diffuser and add your favorite essential oil.
- To further relax your mind, try meditating while enjoying your humidifier. Smartphone apps like Calm or Headspace are great resources for mindful meditation. Also, they’re free!
- Surround yourself with nature
- A growing field called ecotherapy has shown that spending time in nature can lower your stress and anxiety. Next time you need a break, go for a walk and enjoy the great outdoors. For those that cannot go outside, you may enjoy this free, virtual hike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YluBecqmVu0
- Another popular option nowadays is bringing the outdoors inside your house. Buy a new plant to keep in your living room. It will instantly bring a sense of calming to the room.
How do we ensure our physical health is healthy too? Physical self-care is all about doing what we can to feel our best. The “feel-good, do-good” phenomenon states that when you feel your best, you are more likely to help others and “do good.” Feeling good means that your mental health has been taken care of, your body is energized and strong, and you are in an overall happy mood. Eating well and exercising are the best things to do to help your body feel its best. Mom was right!
- Move your body
- Exercise in any way that you enjoy. If you find an activity that you enjoy doing, you are much more likely to actually do it! It could be running, cycling, or yoga. It could even be dancing, walking, or jumping rope. The goal isn’t to workout the hardest – it’s to have fun and feel good while doing it!
- There are tons of free exercise resources online. Check out our favorite, Yoga with Adriene, or search for your own on Youtube.
- Eating well
- Healthy eating looks different for everyone. We’re not here to tell you how to eat, but to offer tools that may help you. Bento boxes help with food portions, and also help encourage you to pack homemade lunches rather than giving in and buying potentially less healthy options.
- Eating well is all about your mindset. Focus on eating the foods that fuel your body the best.
This blog only touches the surface on self-care and its benefits! There are several ways to practice self-care and even more products that can help you do it. Check out our idea book that features different items that will support your (and your audience’s) self-care efforts!